Chicken stewed in a gravy of pomegranate and ground walnuts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large leek
2 lbs chicken (I like thighs because they’re juicier and more flavorful, but breasts will also work well)
1 tub Knorr Chicken Homestyle Stock concentrate
2 cups pomegranate juice
8 oz walnuts
1/4 tsp cardamom
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat
- Thinly slice and caramelize the leeks, and brown the chicken. Make sure the leeks are well caramelized, releasing all their sugars. This will help to counteract the tartness of the pomegranate juice.
- Add one tub of Knorr Chicken Homestyle Stock concentrate and thin with the pomegranate juice.
- Grind the walnuts to the size of breadcrumbs in a food processor, and add to the pot along with the cardamom.
- Cover and allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Cook time will vary, just make sure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°.
- Shred or cut chicken into bite size pieces and stir back into gravy. Remove the lid to allow the gravy to further reduce. It should be thick enough to sit on top of the rice rather than run right through.
- Serve on basmati rice.
- If the gravy is a little too tart, add a tablespoon of sugar, but not too much. This isn’t supposed to be dessert.
- Cooking the chicken in larger pieces results in juicier meat, but if you are in a hurry, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces before browning, and do not cover while simmering to significantly cut the required cooking time.
This isn’t a pretty dish, but it’s yummy. In fact, you might even find yourself closing your eyes as you enjoy it.
FTC disclaimer: I received free product from Knorr for use in creating this recipe.